As we navigate the challenges posed by the spread of the coronavirus, we remain committed to supporting our borrowers. If you're directly or indirectly affected, we may have options to help.
A disaster forbearance may be available for up to 90 days to allow you to postpone payments for both federal and private education loans if your home/work has been impacted by COVID-19. Please understand that all requests must be reviewed to confirm eligibility.
Although you may be eligible for the special disaster forbearance, there may be options that could be better for you in the long run, especially if you have a loan under the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program. If you can still make payments, it is encouraged that you continue to do so to keep paying down your overall loan debt. However, if you can’t make full payments, consider these options first.
For Federal Loan Borrowers
- Change your repayment plan
This can help reduce your monthly payments or allow you to make interest-only payments.
- Consider a deferment
Unlike a forbearance, a deferment will cover the interest on subsidized loans while you are postponing payments.
If changing your repayment plan or applying for a deferment are not applicable options for you at this time, consider requesting the special disaster forbearance for COVID-19.
For Private Loan Borrowers
Some lenders may offer additional options for those who need assistance. If you’re having trouble paying, sign in to your online account to review your repayment options.
If other options aren't available or don’t meet your current financial needs, consider requesting the special disaster forbearance for COVID-19.
How to Request a Disaster Forbearance – Federal & Private Loans
You can request this forbearance from one of the following options:
- After signing in to your account, click the “having your payments postponed” link in Alerts & Messages.
- Next, enter in the Date Affected and click “Submit”. The date you select will determine the begin date of your payment postponement.
- You will see an onscreen confirmation message that we received your request for the disaster forbearance.
- After signing in to the mobile app, click the blue card for the COVID-19 Update.
- Next, click the blue button that says "Apply for Forbearance".
- On the next screen, click the blue button that says "Get Started".
- On the next screen, click the blue button that says "Next: Select Date Affected".
- Now select your Date Affected and click the blue button that says "Review Request".
- On the next screen, verify your information and click the blue button that says "Submit Request."
- You will see an on screen confirmation message that we received your request for the disaster forbearance.
Automated Phone System
- Call 1-800-233-0557
- After the message, enter your account number or social security number for authentication purposes.
- From the main menu, select the option "If you are having difficulty making payments".
- From the next menu of options, select "If you can't afford any payments at this time, press 3". Press 3.
- Next you will hear, "If you would like a forbearance applied due to COVID-19 National Pandemic press 1, otherwise press 2." Press 1.
- After pressing 1, you will be asked to enter your date of birth.
- After entering your date of birth, you will receive a verbal confirmation message we received your request for the disaster forbearance.
*Menu options could differ slightly depending on account status. Please ensure you select the option for the COVID-19 Forbearance.