Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program
The purpose of the Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program is to encourage individuals to enter and continue in the teaching profession.
In order to qualify for the Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program:
- Your existing loans must have been disbursed after 10/1/98 and any loan disbursed on or before 10/1/98 must have been brought to a $0 balance before the existing loans were disbursed.
- For consolidation loans, all of the underlying loans must have been disbursed after 10/1/98.
- You must teach full-time for 5 consecutive complete academic years at a Title I school that appears on the Department of Education's Teacher Cancellation Low Income Directory (TCLI) website.
- The school must be eligible for at least the first year of your 5 qualifying years of service. If the school loses its eligibility, the remaining teaching service will still be counted toward your total.
How to Apply
- Sign in to Account Access and go to Manage Repayment/Loan Forgiveness to complete the Teacher Loan Forgiveness form.
- Mail or fax your completed application and any required documentation to:
American Education Services
Attn: Teacher Loan Forgiveness
P.O. Box 2461
Harrisburg, PA 17105-2461
If you need assistance completing this application, call us at 1-800-233-0557 or email us.
Teacher Loan Forgiveness Forbearance
A Teacher Loan Forgiveness Forbearance can be requested while you are completing the 5 years of teaching service at an eligible Title I school. The forbearance will be applied in 1 year increments, so you must reapply annually.
In order to qualify:
- Your loans must be eligible for the Teacher Loan Forgiveness program.
- The school at which you are performing your qualifying service must appear on the TCLI website.
- The anticipated forgiveness amount will satisfy your anticipated outstanding loan balance (including interest) at the time you complete the qualifying period of teaching service.