Resolve the delinquency on your student loan account before it defaults. Default occurs on a federal student loan after 270 days of delinquency and includes severe consequences such as immediate payment of the balance in full, collection fees and negative reporting to nationwide consumer reporting agencies.
For an Alternative (Private) loan, each lender has specific guidelines to determine when a loan defaults. Please contact Graduate and Professional Services to discuss your account.
If You Want to Avoid Default
Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP) loan
If you have missed payments on your student loan, please contact PHEAA's Default Prevention Services at 1-800-328-0355. Representatives are available to assist you:
- Monday through Thursday—8:00 AM to 9:00 PM (ET)
- Friday—8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (ET)
Alternative (private) loan
If you have missed payments on your student loan, please contact Graduate and Professional Services at 1-800-233-0557. Representatives are available to assist you:
- Monday through Friday—7:30 AM to 9:00 PM (ET)
Disputing a Negative Credit Report
Download, print, and mail the Direct Credit Dispute Form (PDF) to:
P.O. Box 61047
Harrisburg, PA 17106-1047
Or write to us at the address above with the following information:
- Your full name, address, and account number
- Identification of the specific credit report tradeline(s) disputed and details regarding the reason for the dispute. Also, enclose any supporting documentation relevant to the dispute.
NOTE: If you don't have your account number, sign in to Account Access to obtain it.